Who's been to Myanmar?

Home Forums Travel Who's been to Myanmar?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tholland 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

BeguiledBeachcomber
    Participant

So after an amazing two week break in Thailand recently and coming back to the cold wet mud island that is the UK, I am planning my next holiday and want to know all there is about Myanmar. What are the must see places, off the beaten track things to do and see? What are costs for taxis, food etc etc. Hope to hear from you soon.

Stephanie Coulter
    Participant

Hey here was my route and costs. Let me know if you have any specific questions on these areas. I was there end of May/early June for 3 weeks. It was the start of rainy season and the rains were so bad that trekking through Hsipaw and Inle was not feasible. How much time will you have?

Transportation:
    Taxi airport to Yangon MMK 3,500 ($4)
    Yangon to Bagan (overnight bus) MMK 18,500 ($20)
    Scooter rental in Bagan MMK 3,000 ($3.50)/day
    Bagan to Mandalay ~4hr bus MMK 8,000 ($9)
    Mandalay to Pyin Oo Lwin taxi MMK 6,000 ($7) – you can hitch a ride in the back of a truck for ~$3
    Tuk tuk around Pyin Oo Lwin (gardens, Anisakan falls, food) MMK 3,200 ($4)
    Pyin Oo Lwin to Hsipaw (via slow train Goteik Viaduct) MMK 2,750 ($3)
    Hispaw to Inle (overnight bus) MMK 16,500 ($18)
    Inle to Yangon (overnight bus – we took a premium one) MMK 20,000 ($22)

Entrance fees:
    Shwedagon pagoda (Yangon) MMK 8,000 ($9)
    Entrance to Bagan MMK 25,000 ($28)
    Mt Popa tour (Bagan) MMK 9,000 ($10)
    Mandalay tour (Ubein bridge, Mandalay Hill, monastery, Kuthodaw Pagoda) MMK 8,000 ($9)
    Pyin Oo Lwin gardens MMK 6,000 ($7)
    Entrance to Inle Lake MMK 12,500 ($14)
    Inle lake boat tour MMK 2,000 (2)
    Yoga class ~$8

Other costs:
    Food: ~$6-10/day (lunch at the #1 place in Yangon was $5.50)
    Hostels/guest houses: ~$15/day (low end was $8 and highest was $20)
    Visa: US$50

Tholland
    Participant

best country to visit by far,.

I went to Yangon, Bagan, inle lake and Mandalay. Ideally you can hire a boat at Inle lake and they will take you through the floating village and you can see the temple as well as their floating gardens. definitely a must. the lake was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Clear blue sky’s and mountains that reflect perfectly in the lake.

I tried to find a puppet making place in Mandalay but had no luck. I was walking around for hours and asking people but the language barrier is pretty high in Myanmar. That will be your biggest issue.

Try all the strange foods, its some of the weirdest looking but it is top notch.

in Bagan you should try to get on a hot air balloon. that was and is still one of my bucket list items. I was unable because they were not running during the off season :(. you can also rent a bike from your hostel in Bagan. it was really cheap so it makes it a good way of getting around the temples.

I dont know what your budget is but i was living off of 20 dollars a day there. the lodging was the only pricier part, that and buss rides.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.